Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Last Stop Melbourne

Feb  21st  - My flight was at 10:00 am and we dropped our car at Europcar well before time. Luckily we didn't bang, so the formalities were done quickly. Our first problem started at Virgin Airline check-in counter. We were 5 of us and we had five bags to check in. Each bag had to weigh less than 22 kg. My bag had my kids stuff as well and it was weighing 28 kg. But my husband was checking in a luggage of only 15 kg. They didn't agree to compensate with my husband's luggage. I had to repack my suitcase to reduce the weight. I found that quite absurd!! Anyways, it was just an hour flight to Melbourne and it was ok. The inflight entertainment didn't work for me and the air-hostess was quite clueless. 

Again, I had booked a car at Melbourne at Europcar. Here, they didn't have the car that I booked. Funnily, my husband and I were recollecting the Seinfeld episode where he is in a similar situation. They gave us a Volkswagen car and we had to wait for such a long time, for them to arrange for a car seat for my toddler. Only after we started travelling, we realised how horrible the car was. Anyways, I had made my reservation at Punthill South Yarra Grand. I had booked a 2 bedroom apartment for 3 nights, which costed me about Rs. 42,000. It took us a good 45 minute drive in the traffic and it felt like I was in a city.

Like in every other place, the apartment had air-conditioning only in the living room. It was quite hot and stuffy in the bedroom. But the location is fantastic. There is a tram station and railway station nearby. The eateries and shopping places nearby are fantastic as well. The people at the reception were very warm and helped us in planning our things to do. The day we landed, it was white night at Melbourne. We went around 5 to explore the place and the atmosphere was just mind-blowing. They were people performing dance, skits and various acts. The street food and shopping were brilliant. I'm so glad we went around 5 and explored the place. While we were leaving at around 9:30, the place was jam packed and there was no place to move.

Feb 22nd - We had tickets to watch India - South Africa Match. It was way too hot but a good match to enjoy

Feb 23rd - We did a bit of shopping. I had booked a table for hubby and I, at Vue De Monde. The experience was to die for. Oh boy, I forgot to mention that during the day I did eat at Adriano Zumbo. The desserts... I'm still drooling

Feb 24th - We checked out by around 10:30 to drive to Great Ocean Road. Here is the deal, you type Great Ocean Road on GPS, it takes you through the highway. While we were driving, we were wondering as to why we can't see the ocean. We then figured that the GPS always shows the shortest route. I then remembered the stops and we found our way to Torquay. From there on the drive was so inviting. We took pit stops at so many places to enjoy the view. It was almost 7:30 pm by the time we reached 12 apostles and it was the sun was just setting. You can just sit there for hours and enjoy the beauty. 

I had booked my stay at Best Western Great Ocean Inn, Port Campbell. This place is hardly 10 minutes drive from 12 apostles. I had paid Rs. 16350 for a single night for 2 rooms. The room was quite basic and nice. We had dinner at this place, which was right opposite the ocean. Good food and this was the only place which was open late. 

Feb 25th - You can order your breakfast at the hotel, provided to inform them by 8:00 pm previous day. Since we didn't, we checked out and headed for breakfast at a cafe. After that, we again stopped at 12 apostles to enjoy the beauty one last time. We then drove without any stop back to the city. We did a bit of shopping at the outlet mall. After all the shopping, we went to Queen Victoria Evening market. The place had brilliant food. We were all pretty tired just travelling so much. We headed back to the airport early. Guess what? I had bid for my return journey as well, and we had all been upgraded to Business Class.

Th travel back home was wonderful and we had such a good time at Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment