Friday, July 6, 2012

Dubai Day 2

Day 2 started with exploring more features of the apartment. While checking-in, the receptionist informed us that breakfast would be sent to our room, since their restaurant is closed for renovation. We called and asked them to deliver the breakfast at our room by 8:30 am, since we had to leave by 9:00 for our sight seeing. In the meanwhile, we went to the pool on top of the apartment. To go to the pool, you need to go from one tower to another tower. On the top floor, you have your steam, sauna, swimming pool and gym.

We were the only ones using the pool and enjoyed it to the maximum before we headed back to the room to get ready. We were waiting from 8:30 am for breakfast and it was no where in sight. The people at reception were also not able to tell us a concrete time for delivery of breakfast, since they were having problem with their service. I was worried, since we were getting late for our sight seeing. We quickly made maggi and eggs from the grocery we got the previous day. Finally our breakfast did arrive by about 9:15 am after numerous calls to the reception. The breakfast that was delivered to us was 2 croissant, a cup of soup, a cup of fresh cut fruits & a yoghurt for each of us. This menu was not our preferred breakfast choice, considering the wide range of breakfast option that we usually  get while dining at hotels. We ignored thinking, since this is room delivered, we were given limited choice.

I had booked City Tour, Desert Safari, Ferrari World and Dhow Cruise through North Tours LLC. The lady coordinating with me was very sweet and accommodated all my changes and requests. On Day 2, one batch of people were going for City Tour and Desert Safari, while another batch (hubby and me) went for Ferrari World. The pick up time for City Tour from my apartment was between 9:00 am - 9:30 am. The driver was waiting for long, since breakfast was not delivered to the room. My family members left the apartment only by around 9:40 am and the driver was sweet enough to wait for us.  The pick up time for Ferrari World was between 10:00 am - 10:30 am. The driver came by 10:30 am and we left to Ferrari World. Our package included pick-up from hotel, drop to hotel and Ferrari World tickets and costed AED 425 for each of us.


The drive from our apartment to Ferrari World was about 45 minutes. The ticket queue was way too long at Ferrari World but since we already had the tickets, it was no big deal for us. After going inside, we purchased the premium pass as well (additional AED 100 each person), since we didn't want to wait at the queue. We went on a Sunday and the place was packed. You are given a map with the list of rides and entertainment. My husband did try all the rides, while I tried a few (I'm pregnant and I cannot crib about not trying... Hmmmmpp). I enjoyed the following rides:

  1. Driving with the champion: It's a simulation ride where you along with a young engineer get to experience Ferrari F1 car.
  2. Speed of Magic: This was my favourite ride out of the very few ones I tried.  We travel along with a young boy in 4D Fantasy world. The drive in this was just fantastic
  3. Made in Maranello: This was quite enlightening as it gave insight into how a Ferrari car is actually made.
There is a whole lot of Ferrari Cars, that make you drool and wish for owning one. The only time I felt a bit jealous of my husband was when he went on "Formula Rossa". It is considered the world's fastest roller coaster and you accelerate upto 240 km/hr in less than 5 seconds. He loved it so much that he went twice!!!









For lunch, we dined at Il Podio at Ferrari World. It's a family restaurant, which offers Arabic, Asian and Indian cuisine. The food was pretty good and service was quick. This place is definitely a must visit, if you have kids and if you love Ferrari. I want to go back to this place just to try "Formula Rossa".


Our pick-up time from Ferrari World was 4:30 pm but by the time we were done with out rides, we left Ferrari World by 5:00 pm. In the meanwhile, my family members had gone for City Tour (they said it was quite good, especially the museum). After coming back from City Tour, they were scheduled to go for Desert Safari by 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm. Again the pick up was from the apartment and were dropped back by around 9:30 pm - 10:00 pm. I had booked the Desert Safari in a hummer for them rather than in a Land Cruiser, since it would be a different experience for them. They felt the Desert Safari was fine but the belly dancer was too tired. They felt the entertainment factor was a bit of let down and the food was average. While I made my booking with North Tours LLC, I had mentioned about all the guests being vegetarian and they had no hassle arranging the same.







My husband and me were dropped back to the hotel around 6:00 pm. While I was preparing the plan in India, my husband mentioned that he wanted to take me to a nice place for dinner, which should have a typical Arabic setting. I did a small research and decided upon "Khan Murjan" at Wafi Mall. I had made note of the directions to that place, in case I was going by train. Ascott Park Place is beautifully located. The metro station is located on the opposite side of the road and there is a bus stop right next to the apartment. My husband and me wanted to try the metro and took the metro to Wafi Mall. Even the metro stations are beautifully constructed and is very well connected. We left for dinner by about 7:30 pm. The station is located on the opposite side of the mall and it's just a 5 minute walk from the station. 


The location of Khan Murjan is in the basement of the mall. We did ask people for direction and finally we did reach the restaurant. As soon as we saw the restaurant, we were so impressed with the setting and it was exactly what my husband had in his mind. He had a huge smile through out the evening. It had an open setting, but it was not one bit hot. The restaurant serves a host of cuisine, which ranges from Lebanese, Moroccan, Turkish and Egyptian. It was interesting to note that the menu was first to be read on the left hand side and then the right hand side. I honestly don't remember the names of the items that we ordered except for my main course. We ordered one veg and non-veg appetiser along with a veg and non-veg main course. The amount of breads served with  appetiser were just amazing. It felt like a whole meal!! For main course, I ordered a "Koshari Bab Allok". I've never really tasted anything like this before. It was a mixture of pasta, rice, lentil, chickpea, fried onions along with tomato curry. It was super yummy and the portion was huge. I'd definitely visit this place every time I'm at Dubai.






We did check out Wafi mall and did some teeny-tiny shopping. We headed back to the apartment to have a good night sleep.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the dessert Safari so much (minus the food).. We didn't plan Ferrari World as I was not much interested.. but hubby would have loved it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete